If you have been paid with an Institute for Medical Research check issued by Suntrust Bank (Truist) please note our branch was acquired by First Horizon on 07/18/2020. If you any difficulty with your check please contact IMR at 984-250-7010.
Honoring Our Veterans through Innovative Medical Discovery
The Institute for Medical Research strives to advance the health and well being of veterans and their families.
Over the years VA research has contributed to many important health advances. Some of these include:
- Development of microelectronics and robotics to create artificial limbs.
- Creation of the nicotine patch to help people stop smoking.
- Invention of the cardiac pacemaker.
- First successful liver transplant.
- Contributing to the development of the CAT (or CT) scan.
- Developing the practice of an aspirin a day to prevent heart attacks.
Established in 1989, the Institute for Medical Research conducts and supports research and educational activities in collaboration with the Durham VA Health Care System with funds from private companies, donors, governmental agencies, foundations and academic institutions.